Hunt for Agriland Site

After my father passed away, the thought of Mom being by herself most of the time made me think of a project that will allow me to do two things:

  1. A project that will make Mom involved
  2. A project that has a potential to bring us income enough to bring me back to Philippines

These thoughts led me to something very close to my heart and I am passionate about. Modern farming.

Various searches resulted into permaculture, sloping agricultural land technology as well as crop rotation to maximize profitability.

The problem though is we don’t have a big land to farm. My paternal grandparents have already subdivided their lands to their eight (8) children.

So from August until November 2019, we have been looking around to find our perfect match to start with our farming journey.

In Camarines Sur province itself there is abundance of agricultural land. Mom, Uncle Henry, Auntie Epin and brother Edy went for many site viewings.

First property was 7.45 hectares, four towns away from our hometown. The price was too good to be true for that size, we then found out that it’s about 2 kms away from main road, has to cross a paddy field as well as water stream. I really felt for the oldies to have traveled that far and for them to have walked the almost forest area. So thumbs down.

Second property was five towns away, this time it’s 11.6 hectares. It is too big, but ideal because it’s along the road it comes with a price tag. Again thumbs down.

Third property is 6 hectares. This one is perfect. Price is perfect. Only 500 meters away from the barangay road. Unfortunately I didn’t get the loan money.

Then on 9th of November 2019, my folks visited a 3-hectare agricultural property only 1 town away from our hometown. This particular property is a bit on a hilly and sloping land topography. Instantly, I fell in love with it. It is in Barangay Baliuag Nuevo, Minalabac Municipality.

My now new farming place.

Farm-Agriland-Minalabac-Philippines

Farm site not too far from Ragay Gulf too.

I dream of Nigerian Dwarf goats, Dexter cattle, giant bamboos, timber and fruit trees on top of the hill. I dream of Mom busy with her days organizing produce. She will never feel alone and isolated. I dream of coming home to a fresh environment and with nature.

We then proceeded on scheduling a tree planting activity for commemoration to be held the same week of Dad’s first year death anniversary.

Farm-Site-Minalabac-Farm-Boys

Digging holes for transplanting the saplings.

This project still has a long way to go. I am just glad that we now have something to start with. I still need to collaborate with other land owners for a right of way to the main road which is about 500 meters away.

Farm-Tree-Planting-Vanessa

Vanessa holding a sapling for photo-op only

For now, my heart is content.

Eisa-Farm-Minalabac-2019

This little Bicolano boy farmer captured my heart the moment I came to know of his existence – I named him عيسى ‘Eisa’

0 comments